City Roots offers fun and engaging farm field trips for students of all ages!
For more information on field trip options and pricing for 2017-18 schoolyear, download our education packet.
Learn more about our Farm BUCKS program and apply for your school's FREE farm tour!
The City Roots Farm BUCKS program is made possible through a community grant from the South Carolina Department of Agriculture. The full grant was awarded to the farm’s collaborative partner, The Charitable Plate, a nonprofit dedicated to cultivating aspiring chefs, farmers and local food educators’ work in the Columbia community. One of the grant’s project goals is to provide educational opportunities for underserved areas on where to source, how to buy, and how to prepare locally grown nutritious foods. City Roots farm tours will help young people learn where their food comes from and foster a connection between nature, food and community.
Can't make it to the farm? Let us come to you! Our farm educators can visit your classroom to teach your students lessons on topics such as: Life Cycle of a Vegetable, School Gardens, Taste Education, Field to Fork Cooking, Pollinators, Fresh Cut Flowers, and more. Offered November 2017 through February 2018. Fill out the form below to start planning now!
- Have a topic in mind? Let us customize a lesson for your students.
- Starting a school garden? We are happy to offer consultation on how to start your school garden, develop a crop plan, hold garden lessons, maintain your garden, and more. For more information on pricing and scheduling, email email@example.com.
To schedule a field trip, workshop, classroom visit or to request more information, please fill out the form below.
~PREPARING FOR YOUR TRIP~
Change is nature of farming — City Roots reserves the right to make changes based on safety, weather, availability, and any other seen or unforeseen circumstances. The farm is an outdoor adventure, and stormy days will be rescheduled at the earliest convenience for your group and our farm schedule.
Now that you've planned your visit, we have a couple of guidelines to help you and your students prepare for a successful trip.
It is important that students observe farm rules. These guidelines have been developed with the safety of the children and the our crops in mind. We will review the following rules required of each visitor when your class arrives. They are:
- Watch where you step - even the smallest foot can damage seedlings and irrigation tubing.
- Ask before you pick anything - children may have the opportunity to harvest, but need to wait for instruction.
- Stay with your group - sometimes activities are spread out and we don’t want anyone getting lost.
- Respect the people and the farm - any tools or resources provided are to be used with care and for their intended purpose.
Cancellation: We will contact your trip leader in the event of inclement weather. If you need to cancel your trip, please give a one week notice. If you cancel after this time, you will be billed for the cost of your trip.
Advanced registration required.
$75-$100 minimum charge for a farm tour, $20 minimum charge for each additional activity.
Groups under 10 participants will be charged the minimum rate.
City Roots reserves the right to change or cancel your field trip in the event of inclement weather.
Each child must have a signed liability form. Be sure to bring your students’ signed liability waivers.
Field Trip and Environmental Ed Funding Opportunities :
Campus Conservation Project Mini-Grant: https://www.morningagclips.com/conservation-education-mini-grants-available/